(draws a terrible picture for an example of a self portrait project)
me: I’m not very good at drawing… but my sister is an artist!
student: Ms. Lee why doesn’t she teach you?
I made a Chinese student turn red today because I actually understood something she was complaining about. Which is funny because she was complaining about really innocuous shit.
Someone teach me how to befriend rich international Mandarin speaking college students.
1. 2 newcomers (to the country and school) are participating more and more everyday. They are also smiling more! Sounds really rainbows and butterflies, but you can’t imagine the high level of their “affective filter”. Don’t get me wrong, I believe in being strict and disciplined. I was more strict with the kids than my own mentor teacher. But kids have to feel safe in a classroom to learn (or take risks/potentially make mistakes) in a classroom. Second language acquisition (and learning in general) is best done in context. Especially when you have no friggin clue what they are saying in English.
2. Fall is coming/here
3. Even though PD is stupid, at least tomorrow work starts at 8:15 and ends at 2:15
4. 2 city year team related events this weekend! I get to see members of my team again
5. I HAVE ROLES FOR MY LAMINATING MACHINE
Goals for next week:
1. Use laminating machine
2. Get planning done earlier
3. Go to gym 5 days a week
4. Read Korean news AT LEAST 20 minutes a day. If I make my kids use strategies to improve their second language fluency and comprehension, I should do the same.